Saturday, November 22, 2014

The Omni-Max (as in Weber) Theater

Sometimes RELS1 feels like a huge omni-max theater where a multitude of movies are playing simultaniously. I want to see all the movies, but I have to compartmentalize and move on because the theater closes in a few weeks.

I feel like each movie (theorist, scholar, psychologist, philosopher) is a rich source of information and intellectual adventure but I am only able to view them in breif clips and trailers before turning to the next movie.

There is definitely a plot line and plenty of protagonists and antagonists (and sometimes those characters are playing lead roles in one another's film debuts) but there never seems to be an intermission wherein I can put down my popcorn box and get up from my seat.

I am learning so much so fast that I am afraid I may not be able to retain the full impact of the director's (or in this case, the wily instructor's) artistic contribution to my personal culture.

I have developed an affinity toward some of the starring celebrities (such as William James, Wendy Doniger, and Freud and a palatable aversion to others, who I will not name because I am working on understanding them better before negating their method acting.

The good news is most of these movies are out on DVD so I can view each one individually at home when the theater closes.
The bad news is I will not be able bring my aging DVD player into a classroom where there is a qualified technician who can help me adjust it for better viewing.

Spoiler Alert!

  • The Creature Consciousness is calling from inside the house.
  • Nobody gets the girl.
  • Everybody dies but we may see them again in the next movie if we behave and go to church.







No comments:

Post a Comment